Saturday, September 6, 2008

Making and Managing Meaning Through Stories Told

Well, in this chapter I decided to think about the concept the hierarchy of meaning.

It's kind of funny to me that the author decided to stress the event of the prom. It's funny in the way that it's a typical American tradition. But the image of it , and what it represents is still meaningful in France. We don't have such a thing as a prom but I do understand the symbolic of this celebration. Although what I'd like to stress here is that most of the time, it's not about the event itself but more about what it represents. To my opinion, this whole pa&rt of the text is about expectations. Expectations are what create or not an event. Sometimes expectations are so high that's the result can't match what your mind created. And on the other hands, non event can become real events in a life. A day like any other one and you finally have a promotion, or you meet the person you had expecting all your life.

My point is that everyday life creates a hierarchy of meaning. A song listened in the car , or seeing an old movie won't have the same impact to one person or another.

1 comment:

DJ Q said...

I think what people's expectations of prom are funny and variable. It could be the worst day of someone's life or one of the best nights they have ever had. Some people expect to get so crazy that night because it may be one of their last times together with their friends before they go away to college. Some people think its a right of passage where they think they must score with their prom date in order to symbolize a transition into manhood or womanhood.

And if you were someone like me, prom was just another way of spending money on photos that your date/girlfriend never gave back to you. In fact I never even got to look at them. Because we broke up about 4 weeks later. But I'm cool now. It was several years ago.

Case in point: It was a bad night for me.